Posts from April 2011

Is your Mass Driver’s License Expired?

Effective in 2008 the Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles (RMV) announced they were no longer mailing driver’s license renewal reminders. To help with this the RMV created a free service that reminds you when your license will renew. You determine how the RMV reminds you by email, phone or text (SMS) message. The RMV has partnered with Sendza, an outside m that will deliver your automatic reminder at no cost to you or the Commonwealth. Click here to access this service.

To get started, you will need your Massachusetts license or MA ID number, date of birth, and your residential zip code so they can verify your information. The RMV will then transition you to the Sendza website where you will complete the process to subscribe to the reminder service. Sendza will ask you to select how you want to be notified—by email, phone or text message. You must then provide the appropriate email address or phone number. Sendza receives coded information that enables them to deliver your reminder, but never sees your personal information and cannot display or share it.

You can unsubscribe from the service, change your contact information or method of delivery at any time simply by following the prompts once you have entered the subscription page.

Please be sure to join the RMV Reminder Service at least 45 days before the expiration date on your license or ID. For each renewal period, you will receive only one reminder notice approximately 30 days prior to the pending expiration date.

I tried this service myslef an it works pretty simple. You just need your DOB, driver’s license number and the zipcode on your license.

Patriots Day

All 3 Hannon-Ryan locations (Pembroke, Plymouth & Osterville – Goodspeed) will be closed on Monday to celebrate Patriots Day. Our Plymouth office will also be closed this Saturday while Pembroke will be open from 9am to 1pm.

Have a safe & happy holiday..Go Bruins & Celtics!

The Real Value of a Renter’s policy

A renter’s insurance policy is a very affordable policy with lots of great coverages. Most people tend to think of a renter’s policy as offering coverage for their “stuff”. If you have a fire in your apartment your renter’s policy will pay to replace your tv, Ipod, furniture, clothes, etc. While that coverage is great, the true value lies in the liability protection.

Let’s say you accidently leave a candle burning in your kitchen and it causes a fire that not only damages your aprtment, but also 3 or 4 units surrounding yours. The building damage that occurs will be paid for by the landlord’s building insurance comany. But if they find that you were the one who caused the damage they will sue you for the damages.

Do you have $50,000, $100,000 or $200,000 to pay for the resulting damage caused by your candle? I know I don’t. If you have a renter’s insurance policy the liability portion of your policy would provide coverage for you. Your renter’ insurance policy would defend you in this claim.

How much would you pay for such  a valuable insurance policy…$400, $500, $1,000? How about around $200 a year for $25,000 in contents and $500,000 in liability? And you thought insurance was expensive?

The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages available to you. Always consult your policy for actual coverages and exclusions.