Food Spoilage & Tree Removal FAQ’s

Two of the most common insurance questions and claims are food spoilage and tree removal. I will try to give you a quick overview of these common claims. Please remember this is a broad explanation, but always read your policy or call your agent for coverage questions.

If a tree falls in my yard but does not damage my home or property, will my insurance company pay to remove it?
Generally, the tree must cause damage to your home before your insurance company will pay to remove it. There are endorsements available to add this coverage.

If my neighbor’s tree falls on my home, will his insurance company pay for the damage?
Unless negligence can be proven, your neighbor’s policy covers his home and your policy covers your home.  Generally, if the tree is damaged due to a storm, the owner would not be considered negligent.

My tree is hanging over my house. It hasn’t fallen, but it is posing a danger to the property and my family. Will the company pay for the cost to remove it?
Most policies do not provide coverage for removing trees that may fall on the property.

A tree is on my roof. Will my insurance company pay to have the roof tarped?
Insurer’s expect homeowner’s to make any necessary repairs to protect their property from further damage and will pay the reasonable costs associated with proptecting the property. Placing tarps on the roof is a way of protecting your property from further damage.

There was no damage to my home, but $400 worth of food was lost because of the power outage. Can I file a claim for the loss?
Unless you have a special endorsement, generally there is no coverage if the power outage occurred off your premises. If it did occur on your property then you may have coverage subject to your deductible.

What is the benefit of a food spoilage endorsement?
Typically you will have a $50, $100 or even no deductible option and it will provide food spoilage coverage whether the power outage occurred on or off your premises.

Post a comment.